Tulsa, OK dentists and dental hygienists help keep your family’s teeth healthy
Regular dental check-ups are incredibly important to maintaining overall good dental health. Just because your teeth feel fine doesn’t mean you should skip check-ups, as check-ups may be able to detect problems early on that you cannot feel or see yourself. Check-ups at Shortline Dental in Tulsa include a dental exam and a dental cleaning with our qualified dental professionals. They will make sure you are relaxed, comfortable, and aware of what to expect during each step of your check-up.
At Shortline Dental, one of our skilled Tulsa dentists will give you a comprehensive dental exam at your initial dental visit. At your check-up exam, your dentist and dental hygienist will perform the following:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): This is essential for detecting decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: This involves checking the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: This involves checking the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: This involves checking current fillings, crowns, etc.
Professional dental cleaning
Professional dental cleanings (dental prophylaxis) are usually performed by registered dental hygienists. When you come to one of Shortline Dental’s Tulsa locations for your dental exam, you will also receive a thorough dental cleaning from one of our experienced and friendly hygienists.
Your dental cleaning will include:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease.
- Teeth polishing: This removes stains and plaque that are not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
Contact us today for better dental health tomorrow
Our dentists and staff at Shortline Dental in Tulsa, OK look forward to serving you and your family. Call one of our three Tulsa offices today to schedule a visit, or make your appointment online. We offer flexible office hours, including some weekend hours, and we even accept walk-ins. Shortline Dental believes that high-quality dental care doesn’t need to come with a high cost, so we also gladly accept Medicaid and SoonerCare.