Shortline Dental explains dental bridges
A dental bridge is a fixed (non-removable) dental appliance that is highly durable and can last many years. Although bridges can serve various purposes, they are a particularly excellent way to replace missing teeth. At Shortline Dental in Tulsa, OK, our dentists have experience installing all types of bridges and can determine which is the best option for your particular case.
What can a fixed bridge do?
There are many reasons why our patients may get fixed bridges. A fixed bridge can help:
- Fill the space of missing teeth
- Maintain facial shape
- Prevent remaining teeth from drifting out of position
- Restore chewing and speaking ability
- Restore your smile
If someone in your family has a removable partial denture, a fixed bridge can also provide you with the convenience of a more permanent dental appliance.
What does getting a fixed bridge involve?
Getting a bridge usually requires two or more visits to one of our Tulsa offices:
- At the first visit, while your teeth are numb, the two anchoring teeth are prepared by removing a portion of enamel to allow for a crown. Next, a highly accurate impression (mold) is made which will be sent to a dental laboratory where the bridge will be fabricated. A temporary bridge will be made, which you will wear for several weeks until your next appointment.
- At the second visit, your permanent bridge will be carefully checked, adjusted, and cemented to achieve a proper fit. Occasionally, our dentist may only temporarily cement the bridge, allowing your teeth and tissue time to get used to the new bridge. The new bridge will be permanently cemented at a later time.
We will provide you with care instructions at the conclusion of your procedure. Proper brushing, flossing, and regular dental visits at Shortline Dental will aid in the life of your new permanent bridge.
Contact us today for better dental health tomorrow
Our dentists and staff at Shortline Dental in Tulsa, OK look forward to serving you and your family. Call one of our three Tulsa offices today to schedule a visit, or make your appointment online. We offer flexible office hours, including some weekend hours, and we even accept walk-ins. Shortline Dental believes that high-quality dental care doesn’t need to come with a high cost, so we also gladly accept Medicaid and SoonerCare.