Shortline Dental helps you feel at ease
For most people, going to the dentist is just a fact of life. But our team at Shortline Dental in Tulsa, Oklahoma understands that it is not always a carefree experience for everyone. Some people in your family may have medical or emotional issues that can make a simple visit feel very stressful for them. We want every family who walks through the doors of any of our three Tulsa offices to feel calm, comfortable and safe at all times. We are actually the only dental practice in all of Oklahoma with its own in-house dental anesthesiologist, which speaks to our strong commitment to the overall well-being of our patients.
Who can benefit from sedation dentistry & general anesthesia?
- Autism or other special needs: Our sedation dentistry practice is a solution for patients with physical or mental challenges, and for individuals emotionally uncomfortable in the traditional dental office setting. Dental anesthesia services can provide a way to accomplish complete dental care with a more pleasant experience. Learn more about our special needs dentistry.
- Cardiac and diabetic needs: In our state-of-the-art office facility, we can monitor your blood pressure and monitor your heart rate via EKG to help ensure your safety during your dental procedures. We can also administer intravenous antibiotics for those who have had heart surgery, such as valve replacements. Patients with Parkinson’s disease, epilepsy, seizures and other neuromuscular disorders can also benefit from these services.
- Cancer: Patients dealing with cancer have enough to worry about without the added stress of dental care. Treatments such as radiation and chemotherapy often call for dental care that not all dentists are willing or qualified to perform. When you need a dentist who understands the complexities of cancer treatment, you can turn to Shortline Dental.
- Fear, anxiety and phobias: Sedation dentistry is a great alternative for those who suffer from fear, anxiety and phobias stemming from dental appointments. According to American Dental Association surveys, more than 10% of Americans are so highly nervous and anxious about dental treatment that they totally avoid the dentist. Another 20% find treatment so uncomfortable that they are unable to follow through with treatment. In fact, nearly half of the people in the United States still avoid dental care because of their fears, anxiety and phobias. With sedation dentistry, modern, safe general anesthesia techniques allow the fearful patient to have dental procedures done without the anxiety.
- Low pain thresholds: Many people perceive pain differently, or from much less stimuli, than others. Sometimes a dentist may have difficulty in obtaining the tooth “numbness” necessary to perform painless treatment. There are many different reasons for inadequate numbness with local anesthesia, but with general anesthesia and sedation dentistry techniques, patients will have their own personal perception of pain altered and will be virtually pain-free during the dental treatment.
- Active gag reflexes: Some patients will gag before the smallest X-ray film is even placed in their mouth, or before they have a simple impression taken. Using anesthesia techniques, even the simplest dental procedures can be performed and the problems caused by gagging can be eliminated.
- Extensive dental treatment needs: Sedation dentistry is great for sophisticated procedures such as implant dentistry, or full mouth rehabilitation. Patients having extended procedures such as periodontal surgery and root canal therapy are also more comfortable when these dental procedures are done with our anesthesia services.
At Shortline Dental, our dentists have worked with dental patients with different histories and backgrounds from Oklahoma and elsewhere. The list of those who may benefit from sedation dentistry continues to grow.
Contact us today for better dental health tomorrow
Our dentists and staff at Shortline Dental in Tulsa, OK look forward to serving you and your family. Call one of our three Tulsa offices today to schedule a visit, or make your appointment online. We offer flexible office hours, including some weekend hours, and we even accept walk-ins. Shortline Dental believes that high-quality dental care doesn’t need to come with a high cost, so we also gladly accept Medicaid and SoonerCare.