What our Tulsa dentists need every parent to know
If your child has been scheduled to receive dental treatment under deep sedation/general anesthesia at Shortline Dental in Tulsa, Oklahoma, there are a few things you need to know. The medications that will be administered to your child will allow him or her to undergo their needed dental care in a safe and comfortable manner. However, every successful procedure begins with the proper preparation. The instructions outlined below must be followed. Failure to follow these instructions could put your child at unnecessary risk and result in cancellation of the appointment. If you have any questions or concerns about any of these instructions, please contact our office.
Eating and drinking
For a morning appointment:
- No solid food should be consumed after midnight.
- Clear liquids (i.e. water, apple juice) may be consumed up to 3 hours prior to the appointment.
- No milk or other dairy liquids may be consumed. Breast feeding should be stopped 6 hours prior to appointment.
- Do not change your child’s daily routine prior to the appointment. Please do not have them stay up late the night before the appointment or have them eat too late.
For an afternoon appointment:
Follow the same instructions for a morning appointment, except a light meal may be eaten up to 6 hours prior to the appointment.
If your child has a feeding tube, please follow the same instructions for a morning or afternoon appointment.
- Ensure your child is in comfortable, loose-fitting clothing.
- Keep your child free of excessive jewelry, as it can interfere with the procedure.
- Consider putting either a diaper or pull-up on your child prior to the appointment. Have your child use the restroom before the appointment as well.
- All regular medication should be taken as prescribed with a small sip of water. If any medications require being taken with food, please inform our office.
- If your child has asthma or other breathing problems, or has diabetes and is taking insulin, please inform our office to discuss our pre-treatment regimen as it applies to your child.
If your child is sick (i.e. fever, productive cough, etc.), has been sick recently, or has had any changes in general health, please contact our office as soon as possible.
- Arrange for two adults to be with your child for discharge.
- No other children should be brought to the appointment.
- No one is allowed to remain in the treatment area after your child has responded to the administration of the medications.
- At least one adult must remain at the office during the procedure.
After the procedure
- Bring a pillow and blanket for the ride home.
- Please make arrangements to have appropriate supervision after the appointment.
Read more about providing your child with post-anesthesia care.
Contact us today for better dental health tomorrow
Our dentists and staff at Shortline Dental in Tulsa, OK look forward to serving you and your family. Call one of our three Tulsa offices today to schedule a visit, or make your appointment online. We offer flexible office hours, including some weekend hours, and we even accept walk-ins. Shortline Dental believes that high-quality dental care doesn’t need to come with a high cost, so we also gladly accept Medicaid and SoonerCare.